Site Evaluation Summary

My site evaluator for this rotation was Professor Melendez.

For my mid-rotation evaluation I presented an H&P on a 38 year old female s/p Cesarean delivery, POD #2. The patient had no acute complaints or events overnight except for mild pain that was being controlled well with analgesia. She was breastfeeding, ambulating out of bed, and endorsed both flatus as well as bowel movements. Professor Melendez agreed with my assessment/plan, but made a good point regarding my physical examination documentation. I accidentally neglected to include documentation of the incision site (i.e. clean/dry/intact) which was essential for this particular patient in her postpartum evaluation.

For my final evaluation I presented another H&P, this time of a 26 year old female who presented for a routine GYN exam with a chief complaint of vaginal discharge and associated irritation x1 month. The patient explained how she noticed some white, non-odorous discharge right before the onset of her menses, along with external vulvar irritation. She denied any history of STIs or having any form of sexual intercourse or pap smears. Professor Melendez agreed with my assessment/plan, and acknowledged that although the most likely diagnosis is normal cervical leukorrhea, it is important to rule out Candida as well. He also suggested educating the patient on wearing only 100% cotton underwear and to be careful while shaving the area to prevent future occurrences.